[Finance] Startup Costs

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 05:16:01 CEST 2010

(first - please if you reply to the digest, edit your reply so it doesnt include the ENTIRE digest.  That makes it really hard to find the msgs in the next digest.)

I'm starting a space too and have already invested in some of the pricier equipment on my own (laser, makerbot, woodworking, etc) because *I* want those.  My previous experience with the early days of Crashspace (Los Angeles), was that the community came first, followed very shortly by having a physical home space.  The community has sustained CrashSpace for its first year (anniversary of first meeting just past on Oct 25).  They acquired a LOT of smaller equipment through donations, until they bought a Makerbot for the space (and then got two on loan from members).

Community is what sets a maker/hacker space apart from a simple kinkos/tech shop.  TShops may have some community aspect, but focus is much more on the business and some profit making.  I feel member involvement is a very key part - getting people to feel vested in the space and doing volunteer work, donations, etc.  That is what makes a successful space.  If you cant get people to come back regular, you wont make rent.

The other side of our new space (Maui Makers, Hawaii), is intended to have a commercial support aspect. Not to earn a profit, but to allow some members to pay extra and have a few hundred sqft of dedicated space for their own project/mini-biz.  That will (hopefully) allow us to get a larger space in which to grow.  I dont really see the TShop approach as viable, except for some large market areas.  They want a lot of different equipment and lots of space ready from day 1.  That lets you service just about anyone that walks in the door.

Hackerspaces on the other hand, tend to evolve their equipment based on what paying members want/need.  Maybe its a good collection of hand/power tools, well equipped electronics benches, and some great speakers at weekly meetings.  That was more than CS had for the first few months (had lots of great speakers).  Members will bring or pool $ to get other capital as time goes on.  NYCResistor got their laser because several members pooled their $$ and bought it --- then got paid back through usage/class fees until it was paid off.  CS wound up with its 'bots because people pooled $ to get it.  They got some decent CNC/lathe equipment 'cause a member wanted/needed a place for his.

So get the core people, decide what they want/have early, find a space that can house that amount and grab it.  Then build out from there.
Startup costs should be a couple months rent, insurance, utilities, and some infrastructure build out.  Then you start getting some paying memberships to help cover those basics, and more people helping choose direction for new equipment.   Get people involved and excited.

Others, please be nice to new spaces with new "biz" models.  There are some spaces/people who think the only path for a Real True Hackerspace is one that makes no pretense of actually making money, even to cover expenses.  That path may work for some for a while, but don't try to force your religion on those that have somewhat different views.   A successful space needs both community AND income.

jerry isdale
http://mauiMakers.com