[Finance] Startup Costs

SkyDog skydog at hackerconsortium.com
Thu Oct 28 17:33:19 CEST 2010

I had spoken with Jim Newton in the past, asking him a few things about
TechShop, and how they did it, his thoughts, etc. A couple of months
ago, he was in town talking to the people of Jet, that make the cnc
mills, etc.  I Gabriel and I got to spend about two hours talking to
him, discussing the maker movement, what his goals were, and how things
were going for our respective ventures. The TechShop model is awesome as
a business model. They do not buy used equipment. They buy new stuff,
and make sure it's serviced regularly. They have 'Dream Coaches' that
help people with equipment, watch over the place, and offer suggestions
to members needing help.  You have to admit, they have taken the Maker
movement, and made it into a business. I don't fault them for it, and
honestly, I am dying to go see one in action. Now, given that, I don't
think that the Hacker Consortium is destined to operate that way.

We have a $100 fee to join, and $40 a month for dues. The $100 a month
goes towards infrastructure costs, and the $40 a month goes towards
electricity, cable, water, insurance, etc. We put the $100 fee in for a
few reasons. One, we needed capital to rebuild the interior of the
building, wire it, and improve on it's appearance. We also put it in
there so that we sorted the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. The idea
being that if you were excited enough to join, and you laid down $100,
you wouldn't just join, come here and there, and when your interest
picked back up, re-join by paying $40 and keep going. Let's face it,
unless you have some angel investors that keep pumping money into the
venture, you have to make sure you have a solid stream of membership
dues coming in to pay the bills. It's been estimated that I've put about
$5K into this maker space. I'm fine with that, as I've gotten way more
out of it than I have put in, based on the friends that I have made, and
the fun that I have had. $5K will buy a lot of hookers, but the event
still leaves you feeling hollow inside and unfulfilled. I'd rather put
my money down to get the HC going than to have meaningless sex for
money... Well, ok. maybe OCCASIONALLY. :)

The bottom line is that to keep the doors open, we have to have members,
but we can't support it on hugs and smiles, we need people to
contribute. You can do the 'pay as you go' model, or the 'pledge what
you can' model, but we felt that we needed a more solid commitment. I
know that I could pay the bills out of my pocket each month if
necessary, but honestly, I would rather not. If our membership falls
below a level of sustained income necessary to keep the bills paid,
Gabriel and I will open our wallets and make it happen.

One of the most interesting things that I learned from Jim Newton was
this... The Hacker Consortium was closer to the model that he originally
wanted to do that is the techshop model that he's currently doing. I
don't think Jim entered into this with a profit motive. I think he
entered into it wanting a space to do the things that he wanted to do,
but it grew into TechShop. He's a talented businessman, a great speaker,
and I think his heart is in the right place. Oddly enough, he said he
has a list of projects he wants to work on a mile long, but he's too
busy working on Techshop to actually get to do them. It's sad but true.
Sometimes you'll be faced with putting your projects off in lieu of
helping members, or running the space. I do have to say that it's well
worth the time and effort though.

I know that there are different models. I am not saying that one model
is better than the others, or that ours is best. Depending on members,
location, needs, etc, you may have to change your model, or come up with
a new one. The best bet is to be informed as much as possible, and both
listen and ask questions. Find what is right for your circumstances, and
then do everything you can to make it work. You may not always be the
most loved person on the planet when you have to make a hard decision,
but someone has to.

-Trevor Hearn a.k.a. SkyDog
www.hackerconsortium.com