[Finance] Psychological Aspect of the Finances

madstringer madstringer at denhac.org
Tue Aug 31 18:40:44 CEST 2010

When we first started, it definitely wasn't mandatory. We asked who
would be willing to contribute financially to getting the space up and
running. We did make it known that once we did get a space, we would be
implementing a mandatory dues system, but we also highlighted what
members would get, e.g. 24-hour access to the space and all tools,
internet access, projects and workshops, etc. I think that as long as
you let people know what to expect, you don't necessarily have to
perform marketing kung-fu with the wording. I think comparing the cost
that an individual would incur vs. getting it thru a hackerspace/makers
membership would be a good way to get people to see the value. You can't
count out the value they get from hanging around other people who are
like-minded either. Knowledge transfer is an invaluable tool...

madstringer
madstringer at denhac.org