[hs-equality] The history of this project, where should it go now?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Sep 16 21:08:06 CEST 2014

Breaking off the previous thread into a few different things.

So a bunch of us that wanted to make this thing happen had a few
meetings and a lot of email discussion on this list. If you've got the
chance and feel like it, I would highly recommend going through all that
as there's some golden stuff there....

http://lists.hackerspaces.org/pipermail/equality/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXOAtS6dO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rApJRiOc1w

We also sort of have a corner of the Hackerspaces.org wiki, with a very
preliminary mission statement (which a better more edited version sadly
got eaten up by riseup's etherpad after none of us touched it for a
month). It's kind of hard to grasp what the original goals were, and I'm
also having a hard time finding any emails of mine that described our
original intentions, so I felt like I should write something here for
posterity. I'll leave it up to others who want to have more stake in
this onto what direction they want to take the site/group into.

* Lay out a general guideline for what what equality means within the
hacker/maker/tech scene/spaces
** Outline that prejudiced isn't just limited to getting picked on
through label of gender, sexual configurations and/or race, but even
things like getting railed on/cornered out for things like operating
system preferences or being told arts and crafts are not hacking and
don't belong in a space.
** Utilize this vector of helping those who don't understand what it's
like to be ostracized from a group because of one of the more major
issues when they most likely have have the same feelings through
something minor (i.e. "it hurt to be told vim is better than emails, now
imagine what if that was your identity"

* Eventually start to partner up with spaces/groups that adopt and
follow through with these guidelines.

* Provide a community, safe space, to discuss relevant topics and to
provide outreach to those who've been potentially hurt
** The website
** Mailing list
** Monthly video chat meeting things
** Panels at cons
** Meetups in person!

* Provide resources to all groups on how to make things in this realm of
suckage suck a lot less.
** Our own content
** Links to other sites

That's most of what I remember, and maybe should go onto the wiki.
Anyhow, I'm hoping this will prompt some discussion about specifically
this, what do we want to do? :)

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net