[hs-equality] schedule a hangout?

Georgia Guthrie georgia at thehacktory.org
Mon Jan 14 20:44:40 CET 2013

Hey everyone,
Sorry I've been absent from this list too. I also volunteered to take over
coordinating the next meeting from Rubin and really dropped the ball on
that.
Given the recent discussions, shall we try to find a time for a hangout? As
I recall, scheduling things around 4 or 5 pm EST on a weekend worked well
in the past. How about Jan 26th or 27th? If people are game I'll look up
the to-do's we made last time so we can check on our progress.

I've also been interested in the discussion about gender issues here and
the fallout from the creeper cards at CCC. I agree with others that the
cards don't seem to have been very constructive themselves, but they do
create an opportunity for people to point to instances of when they are
made to feel like outsiders because of their gender in our community, and
talking about it is the first step toward changing it.

>From the exercise The Hacktory has started doing on the Gender
Gap<http://www.thehacktory.org/?p=2737>,
I've started to hear from male participants that many women stereotype
men's abilities with technology, which is annoying at least, but can also
be really uncomfortable for them. I know it's something I've done in the
past, but I never considered how little space men have to admit when they
don't know something in this field. Being comfortable with technology is
wrapped up with gender identities in our (US for me, don't want to speak
for others though) culture, and everyone perpetuates this; men, women, bi,
queer, gay, etc, . I would be interested in figuring out a way to pull this
apart on hackerequality.org.

If anyone's interested, I've been reading Daring Greatly by Brene Brown on
this topic (see her 2nd TED
talk<http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame.html>if
you want) and I think her exploration of vulnerability related to
gender
is really interesting.

Looking forward to hearing about when people can hangout!

-Georgia

--
Director at The Hacktory <http://www.thehacktory.org/>
Winner of the Knight Arts