[hs-equality] People at Metalab have taken issue with some incidents at 29c3

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Jan 9 06:49:47 CET 2013

Hi all, sorry I've been a bit absent from this discussion. Life has been
busy and other projects keep on requiring my attention. Here are a few
quick bullet points to sum up my perspective after skimming through the
bulk of stuff happening.

* Hacker Equality is first and foremost for hackers feeling safe, not
discriminated against, and heard within our community of spaces and the
hacker scene in general. If you label yourself as a hacker and feel that
someone or a group is railing on or making you feel uncomfortable simply
because you are being who you are, that's not ok and Hacker Equality
should (eventually) be a spot on the internet (and the world) where
people can come by for help. I think we're all on the same page here
that Hacker Equality is not exclusively catering to a particular sub
group of folks getting the short end of the stick from their fellow
human, but to pretty much everyone. If we want to get detailed here, I
can simply say that Hacker Equality formed because of Jimmie's comment
regarding being discriminated for his vegetarianism. :)

* Every community has assholes, and the assholes are typically the
loudest in those groups. gmc's comments about getting trashed around by
someone who's pro-feminist is totally a valid thing to say (and I've had
plenty of my own trashing myself) and be hurt by, but remember that the
altercations experienced through a few jerks shouldn't be considered
representational of an entire group.

I am however completely racist against bugs, they are all a pest and
I've never met one I particularly liked, bugs can go fuck themselves and
die in a fire. Also cats, I literally become physically ill when near
cats, fuck them so hard in their furry cat butts (sorry Mitch!).

Anyhow, please be angry at the assholes and as much as they suck please
try really hard to not consider their rudeness and negativity as a
representation of a whole group.

* People have opinions about the cards and how effective or ineffective
they are. I am totally going to refrain from dumping my comments about
them here, but will point out an important fact that Mitch shared,
regardless of if they're the right thing or not it has however totally
gotten people to talk about these issues (I mean look at this thread!).
Some folks got hurt by the cards, others feel empowered. Instead of
complaining how the cards should either go away or be used more, maybe
we can think of this as an open source problem and provide a patch. I do
believe they are shared under the CC. :)

* I think Hacker Equality could totally be the home of the petition for
this letter, and possibly mirror the letter too, though I haven't looked
at it recently and shouldn't flat out endorse it without doing so. :P

* Wow we should totally make the site do something. Wow I wish there
were more hours in the day to do so. :(

Michael Z: Thanks for posting it here. :D

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net