[hs-equality] Areas of the website

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Feb 6 20:04:28 CET 2012

So we have a Wordpress instance up right now. I've been wrangling with a
mediawiki install for the past three week and am hating it and it makes
me want to skull fuck my own skull because fuck security and computers
and wikis, they all suck.

THE BIG QUESTION: Which one of these two routes would work best for this
site/project/thing?

1. Open ended, anyone can provide content, edit content, etc, open
registration.

2. New contributors are asked to poke our mailing list (where you're
reading this) with ideas on what they want to post, before they're given
author rights.

Path 1 is really awesome and totally anarchist and lovely in every sort
of way but will turn into a pain in the ass to maintain over time, not
to mention spam bots from hell.

Path 2 provides an option for discussion to happen before content is
posted (and potentially where it'll get posted). It also requires some
level of introductions with content authors with the rest of the group
(building community!). But in the end it's more loops for someone to
jump through before posting things.

Number 1 is Wordpress as a blog with Mediawiki seated somewhere else
nearby, number 2 is just Wordpress.

I'm siding with 2 because that's easier right now, it's already setup,
etc. I can throw up a wiki later if we really want that.

Thoughts?

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net