[hs-equality] 28c3 Queer Geeks Panel

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:28:10 CET 2011

> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 11:15:07 +0100
> From: gmc at hackerspaces.org
> To: equality at lists.hackerspaces.org
> Subject: Re: [hs-equality] 28c3 Queer Geeks Panel

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 08:54:56PM +0100, Lars Weiler wrote:
> > But the proposed style for this topic -- a panel discussion -- will not reflect the message correctly. With eight persons on a panel, every person can talk for five to ten minutes. That's even not enough time to tell the own story.
> >
> > So there was the idea to transfer the message of this panel in another way. We would like to ask you, to prepare videos with your message, which we can show during the breaks, on the TVs in the hallways or put on ours servers for later download. It sounds a bit like the "It Get Better Project". The goal should be, to show participants that we have a problem, that we want to solve it and that there are a lot of even very famous hackers, who help in creating a better community. There is no room for harassment, sexist behavior and discrimination at the Congress! Let's shout out Noisebridge's code of conduct “Be excellent to each other”!
>
> I'm ambivalent. On the one hand it's making the message sort of a side show (or feels like it), on the other hand it might give the message a much bigger impact that way. And hey, we can always still do an informal live-radio-show-with-audience-type-thing unofficially if we want, are up to it.
>
> During the breaks, it would be on the projectors in the lecture rooms?
>
> I'm up for it. I can create a video and all.
>
> > Technically we should have the videos taken and cut before the Congress. We are all members of Hackerspaces and so I guess, that everybody should have access to a camera and a computer for cutting videos.
> >
> > This is a proposal and I would like to hear your comments.
>
> I'm open to it. And favour keeping it free-form, except perhaps a bumper at the start that's the same for all videos, and something at the end, where we all end with the same well-phrased message and perhaps another bumper that's the same.
 I like the idea of a bumper at the start and end of each video that is the same, along with an agreed upon sound-bite that we all say at the end.  This ties all of our free-form videos together to make a whole.  It should make some good buzz throughout Congress, especially if they are played on the screens in between talks. And then doing a 2-hour unofficial-informal-live-radio-show-with-audience thing towards the end of Congress, where, hopefully, a bunch of people will show up because of all the buzz.  (And we can then be available to talk beyond the 2 hours, as a group, in small groups, one-on-one, or whatever. We can call it "It Gets Better", or come up with our own name -- I can see pluses and minuses for either, and I'm fine either way. +1 for Fab's idea on QR codes (and perhaps, along with a title that says folks can watch these online later, whenever they want)+1 for Fab's idea on subtitles in English and German (and other languages?) gmc -- assuming others like the idea of a bumper at the front and back, is this something that you could make happen? If we go with subtitles and QR codes, who can make that happen? And where will the videos live online during and after Congress? Mitch.