[hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Fri Mar 31 20:17:26 CEST 2017

On 03/31/17 18:39, Ijon wrote:
> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.

The trick lies in the 'we' I believe, not everyone who self-identifies
as a hacker(space) seems to care much about privacy in their direct
environment or not on that level.

There are also spaces that have a camera feed but obfuscate the stream
or have a way of turning it off when/before entering.

Personally, I'm quite interested in ways of 'connecting' hackerspaces
without having to do video feeds, outside of the privacy issue, it seems
a rather boring/non-creative approach.

w.