[hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Sat Sep 10 04:29:27 CEST 2016

It's worth mentioning that several of us worked on developing a
free/open-source system to do this called Seltzer, with mixed success. It
never made it to 1.0, but has been successfully used at a number of spaces.
The project is currently maintenance-only, but I do plan to devote more
effort to decentralized free/open software for organizing communities at
some point.

It's a hard problem, but mostly for non-technical reasons. Some challenges
we found that might not be obvious:

1. It's not a sexy topic, so it's hard to attract volunteers, and it's hard
to raise money.

2. On a related note, member management systems are long-term projects,
which means whatever stack you build the technology on, it will spend most
of it's life cycle being "old, boring" technology.

3. Everyone does things differently. One approach is to build a tool that
can be configured to do anything (CiviCRM is a good example) but the
downside is that it gets very complicated and difficult to use. Another
approach is to make a lightweight core that can be extended (we tried this
with Seltzer).

4. It's difficult to build collaborations across spaces. Different spaces
stumble across or create their own solutions, which makes pooling resources
difficult.

Happy hacking,
Ed