[hackerspaces] Classes and costs

Pete Prodoehl raster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 18:00:42 CEST 2016

Because my space sometimes has gloom and doom people, someone brought up
the idea that if you charge for a class, you could be held responsible
if someone in the class gets injured. This would be different than if
you did *not* charge for a class because there is no (or less?)
expectation of responsibility if you are not charging for your
services/expertise.

I think the thought is that a student would try to sue you personally
versus the space, and there was a suggestion that individuals who teach
should get their own personal insurance that would cover the teaching
they do. (The space has its own insurance and waiver/disclaimer forms
that everyone signs.)

I am definitely not a lawyer, but I'd love to hear what others think of
that idea. (And yes, I am in the overly-litigious United States.)

Pete