[hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Wed Sep 16 16:16:17 CEST 2015

Sadly, this happens at all levels of education and even at the most
tech-savvy schools. My friends Nathan Matias and Kate Darling have been
working with MIT and BU to set up a legal clinic for MIT students who run
into legal trouble as a result of innovative work. They're also organizing
an event with the EFF called Freedom to Innovate. It might be encouraging
for the student to know that MIT students run into the same types of
problems, and these links might be able to sway some people in the city and
school:

http://freedom2innovate.mit.edu/

https://civic.mit.edu/blog/natematias/the-story-behind-mit-and-boston-universitys-new-legal-clinic-for-student-innovation

Happy hacking,
-Ed

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Randall Arnold <randall.arnold at texrat.net>
wrote:

> I live not far from Irving and used to work there.  I had always thought
> it was more progressive than some of the cities around here... apparently
> not.
>

> This state has become so paranoid...
>
> On September 16, 2015 at 6:27 AM Joshua Pritt <ramgarden at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am at a loss for words. We really do seem to be moving backwards.  I'm
> reminded of the movie Idiocracy and worry that we are actually heading in
> that direction.  How can we make sure to avoid that possible future?
> On Sep 16, 2015 7:16 AM, "Glyn Kennington" <glyn at potatojunkie.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> mindthegoat wrote:
> > The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> > words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> > in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
> >
> > Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.
>
> I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
> suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.
>

> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command
>
> It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
> a similar lack of clue.

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
https://elplatt.com
@elplatt <http://twitter.com/elplatt>
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload:
https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose
desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose,
long-winded, rambling prose.