[hackerspaces] RFC: security alarm and access control systems in use

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:29:54 CEST 2015

We developed this access control system and also sell copies:

http://accxproducts.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The version 4 Open Access is a very robust platform that supports
2xWiegand-format card readers, 4xrelays, 4xsupervised alarm zones, has
a real-time clock, and can have a Raspberry Pi bolted on. You can buy
them here:

http://www.wallofsheep.com/

The hardware is deployed at 50+ sites and is used for industrial
stuff. It will work stand-alone or docked to a server for
logging/remote control. What it could use some help with is a nicer
Web GUI. There are two projects available now, but more work would
improve things considerably.

As far as RFID goes, it has lots of security limitations. For managing
a hackerspace, it offers cheap, easily-revoked tokens and logging. We
got tired of dealing with metal keys, so we developed this system and
went for simple card format.  There are also better tokens available,
and contactless RFID can be combined with a PIN or other second factor
very easily.

We figured out after a couple of years that security model mostly includes:

1. Keeping the junkies from the alley out of our space
2. Making it difficult for someone to roll a moving truck up to the
space on a long weekend and make off with all of our gear.

The rest of the features are about convenience (i.e. letting the
maintenance man in remotely/etc).

Arclight
23b Shop, Fullerton CA
http://blog.shop/23b.org