[hackerspaces] So, how much spam do you get?

Alan Fay emptyset at freesideatlanta.org
Mon Oct 27 16:51:22 CET 2014

It comes with the territory of being a public space.  Freeside gets four
distinct types of spam (aside from your typical email spam):

0. "Can you advertise my [product, service, website, kickstarter] to your
members?"  Really, what these folks want is an endorsement.  We have an
open public mailing list that gets this sort of thing from time-to-time,
but they are after is our credibility and access to our platform to sell
our members or social media audience on something.

1. "I have an idea but I need a team of people to work for little to no
compensation to execute it for me.  Can you help?"  A similar flavor, this
person wants to sell us on an idea and get us to recruit on their behalf,
for free.

2. "Are your members interested in [paying to attend, or managing and
hosting (for free)] a hackathon?"  Companies now use hackathons to spot and
recruit talent, and perhaps even manage to develop the start of something
with free labor.  So they're looking for everything: credibility, access,
and recruitment - for free.

3. "Can I use your space as a venue for [something unrelated, exploitative,
or weird], for free?"  Our goto example of this is that we've received not
less than three (yes, 3!) separate requests to host children's puppet shows
at the space.  Other requests include time-share presentation variants,
shooting rap videos, repairing air bags workshop...