[hackerspaces] Fwd: Vaping in Spaces?

Matthew McCabe matt at mrmccabe.com
Wed Oct 8 19:44:45 CEST 2014

There is no documented medical evidence showing that vaping leads to any
kind of harm to the person using the vaporizer or people inhaling the vapor
2nd hand.  (If you have some links to peer reviewed medical journals, I
would love to read them.)  When we founded ATX Hackerspace, a few of our
members vaped indoors without incident though I don't know what their
policy is today.

All of that being said, be sure to check your local laws as some cities
like Seattle and San Francisco have made it illegal to vape indoors.  So if
you are concerned about following the letter of the law in your space, you
may need to ask people who vape to do so outside.  Also, I have
(antidotally) heard of people who are mildly allergic to the vapors but
that is probably not a good reason to ban them outright in a space.

IMO, yes, be excellent and if vaping causes someone else physical
discomfort, don't do it around them.  Though, the "OMG you are smoking
indoors and smoking is bad" kind of attitude is just ridiculous.  Vaping !=
smoking.

-Matt