[hackerspaces] Fwd: Vaping in Spaces?

hadez hadez.hso at nrrd.de
Wed Oct 8 17:21:55 CEST 2014

The issue came up at shackspace and it got to a point where some folks
felt offended and the vapers in question ignored / downplayed /
ridiculed all pleads to please take it outside or even move by an
inch.
Since we already have a strict "no indoor smoking" rule established,
we simply decided to treat vaping the same way.

So far, to my knowledge, neither side of the argument was able to
present compelling, peer-reviewed and tested research in favor of
their party.
At the moment there are indications that vapor - while less toxic than
smoke - still does contain several chemicals identified as
carcinogens[0,1].

So without moving the goal post around too much, we've decided as a
group to err on the side of caution and treat vaping the same way we
treat smoking: Feel free to do it, as long as you do it outside.

[0] Gonewicz ML, Knysak J, Gawron M, et al. Levels of selected
carcinogens and toxicants in vapour from electronic cigarettes. Tob
Control. doi:10: 1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050859
[1] Schripp T, Markewitz D, Uhde E, et al. Does e-cigarette
consumption cause passive vaping? Indoor Air 2013; (1):25-31.

--
hadez