[hackerspaces] what fundraising methods have worked best for you?

Paul Brown paul90brown at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 00:00:52 CET 2014

Here is the split of Dallas Makerspace's income:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2eh0xwk0vfj4gbe/income_dist.png

Most income comes from members who pay automatically each month to use the
tools and workspace outside of public classes, hackathons, lectures, and
workshops. Now that our tools and workspace are impressive, we're getting a
lots of new members each month:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmzjsqo0ldz9ht8/membership_growth.png

Selling memberships gives us the cash we need to hire teachers and fund our
educational mission in a bigger way.

It wasn't always that way though. Initially, a brave souls needed to talk
the original group into paying recurring membership dues even though there
wasn't a space. It was an investment (and a tax deductible donation).

Funding 80% of an organization with workshops/classes is going to be a huge
burden on a volunteer-only organization. It's super impressive that
Artisan's Asylum was able to attract enough instructors to pull it off.
They mention it in the "Identifying Income" section of this article that
Gui wrote:
http://makezine.com/2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-creating-a-business-model/