[hackerspaces] Insurance for makerspace

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Sun Jun 1 04:28:12 CEST 2014

We had some initial issues as well, but once one of the insurance
companies figured out how to classify us (they went with something like
'private club workshop', we were flying. We didn't keep them in the dark
about what we did, and as a result they even made sure our liability
insurance covered events that we run outside of our space (like Mini
Maker Faire).

We upped our coverage when adding new big-ticket items, and also when we
moved into our new space about 1.5 years ago, still no problems. Of
course, we've never had to make a claim so far either. That said, we
assume that any colossal fuckup that gets lawyers involved would likely
close our doors anyway, regardless of how the insurance lands.

Not sure how different it is in the US as opposed to Canada, but they
may have an easier time wrapping their head around it if you refer to
your space as a club or private workshop as opposed to a
hackerspace/makerspace. Don't leave out exactly what activities are
going on though.

Good luck,
Ben