[hackerspaces] Hackerspace drama, oh my!

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 20:01:49 CEST 2014

Hi Yar,

Really appreciate you chiming in here.

> Naomi Most wrote;
>> We're watching as Sudo Room, for example, gets into its 2nd year and
>> starts to have the same squatting problems we have.

> Our "squatting problem" was mostly caused by our previous landlord who
> was making an extra buck by letting people live in his vacant offices.
> We had many problems with this previous landlord.

That's actually very similar to the reasons we started having squatter
problems:  someone who spent a lot of time at NB let people think it
was OK to sleep there.

Then (simplifying a lot), some core culture makers at Noisebridge
shouted, "hey Occupy, Noisebridge is with you!" and didn't get how
hard it would be to hold down the fort after that.  In fact it became
so difficult for many good people to feel welcome at Noisebridge in
the face of the Occupy squatters that they left -- which made it even
harder to fend off this cultural flu.

What Sudo Room did right during the General Assembly was to keep an
eye on access control.  I don't know if you guys actually saw it that
way at the time, but you were doing it organically -- there was always
someone from the core culture at the space, and the door control was
invite-only if you didn't have an RFID fob.

I know you've just moved and everything is shiny and new again.  That
will buy you 1-2 years of peace at least.  :)

--Naomi