[hackerspaces] How to deal with this kinds of arrasemenr

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:04:30 CET 2014

Someone needs to sit down and talk to that man and explain that you aren't
operating a dating club. He's not allowing her to be there on the same
terms he is, which is fundamentally disrespectful. He needs to be made
aware that he should treat every person there with respect, regardless of
what form they happen to have. Someone needs to drive this home and help
him understand that the lack of respect is harming her, him and the
hackerspace's very reputation.

It's not a woman problem, it's a respect problem. I have personally seen
inappropriate behavior by gay men, too. (Still waiting to see women
harassing people, but I'm sure it's a matter of time/power dynamics until
someone thinks they can get away with it.) The problem was (periodically)
addressed by having someone the member they respected sit down with them
and explain to them in excruciating detain the problem, making crystal
clear that the behavior is unacceptable.

It's very difficult to totally address this problem, since giving someone
the boot is usually pretty difficult in a hackerspace and would likely
cause a lot of drama.

I really wonder why people engage in such self-defeating behavior, though.

________
"As a means of espionage, writs of assistance and general warrants are but
puny instruments of tyranny and oppression when compared with wire tapping."
 - Justice Louis Brandeis, Olmstead v. US, dissenting opinion

If you're interested in my work,
Videos of my talks can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/longobord
I was a discussant at the World Forum for Democracy in 2013:
http://www.coe.int/en/web/world-forum-democracy/lab7
Slides from my talks are here: http://www.slideshare.net/ChristieDudley
My papers can be found here: http://ssrn.com/author=1999441