[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Brendan Halliday wodann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:54:09 CET 2014

Hey Loki,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate the counterpoints between the
two hackerspaces you've been involved with.

I think the problem with the word 'equality' is that it means different
things to different people. To people who have not been exposed to the
concept of priviledge (and their priviledges) equality (in my experience)
seems like a great word to be able to use and say 'everyone here is equal'
which tends to create situations where some members are 'more equal' than
most and generally doesn't acknowledge the inequality in our society.

Whereas my viewpoint and experiences have been that 'equality' seems to
describe the general condition of society where people are percieved to be
equal when they are not. Because of this, I'd prefer to use equity where
possible.

I've had the priviledge of being a member of the executive at our
hackerspace and working with the person who wrote our original rules and
founded the club and from my experiences with this the intent of the
founder was more for 'equity' but the word 'equality' was used because it
features heavily in many government documents.

Either way, thank you for your advice on this issue. It's much appreciated
:)