[hackerspaces] How to deal with this kinds of arrasemenr

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Jan 27 17:27:53 CET 2014

On 27/01/14 10:59 AM, Florencia Edwards wrote:
> Hi all. On our hackerspaces there is this person very active in the
> community of older age (60ish), who started giving presents to a 26 year
> old staff member and asking her to report when she got home because he
> worried somehing would happen to her. Than he sent an email saying he
> was in love with this member and that he had expectations ,but all was
> lost when he found out she had a boyfriend. The staff member told him
> she wasnt intrested and to please keep distance, respectfuly. After that
> he kept sending emails saying that he needed this staff memers attention
> to keep proactive in the maker community. He sent another present
> This staff memer is tired of this, is doing an ignore strategy but this
> person insists a lot. Also the conmunity at the hackersoace love him and
> learn a lot from him so its difficult to just ban.
>
> What do you recomend for this? How can communicate with ths person so he
> stops bothering the staff? Do you consider his behavior arrasement?
>
> Ill really appreceate answers

This kind of behaviour is one of the biggest reasons women can feel
uncomfortable in IT communities. People should be able to feel
comfortable being themselves without always feeling like they have to
check themselves to make sure they don't seem flirtatious or interested
beyond simple friendship.

This member needs to be made aware that he must leave her alone
immediately or else get removed from the community. He showed his
interest, he was rejected, he needs to move on. Now.

--
Digimer
access to education?