[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Madelynn Martiniere mmartiniere at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 05:15:24 CET 2014

You hit the nail on the head here.

The majority of female visitors to hackerspaces that have been victims
to a variety of insulting and harassing behaviors have left without
comment or complaint. Once an environment has been made uncomfortable
once, there's no likely reason to return.

Having some sort of public policy denouncing such things doesn't mean
that it won't happen, but a) it does alert potential instigators of the
behavior that there will be consequences and b) encourages those who
have been victims to that behavior to speak up knowing that there will
be consequences. This in turn creates a safer environment.