[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Mon Jan 27 04:36:48 CET 2014

So having a visible policy damages you how?

From: Moritz Moritz
Reply: Hackerspaces General Discussion List discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org
Date: January 26, 2014 at 7:38:00 PM
To: Hackerspaces General Discussion List discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org
Subject:  Re: [hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

See, that is the underlying disagreement here. I *expect* that from
*any* group I participate in. And I *see* that it works well, and people
actively make steps towards this. They don't need a sign! To the
contrary, most people I know react allergic to signs and policies, and a
sign would be counterproductive. Quite similarly to "I read a LOT of
books, but any book on the official agenda of my school I didn't bother
even touching.".

The only effective method is to *live* the policies, as members, and pay
a lot of attention to how new arrivals behave, and then take them into a
1:1 conversation.
--
Al Billings
http://makehacklearn.org