[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Steven Sutton ssutton4455 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 01:34:51 CET 2014

If your efforts toward diversity are making communication or sharing
opinions more difficult, then you're probably doing it wrong. I'm sure
you've had negative experiences in the past with the direction that these
conversations sometimes take, but there are some strategies that exist for
making your community easier for anyone to get into.

It's easy for the argument to get unfocused and for people to start
attacking things that are actually just a symptom of the larger problem.
That's fine, you just have to keep putting things back on a positive track
until people "get it.'

There's not an easy, turnkey ideology that people "should" adopt that makes
diversity in your space easier. Instead, we have to gradually open people's
perspectives and change their habits, which changes the culture of the
community.

...or at least that's what's worked best for me so far.

Steven Sutton
President, Freeside Atlanta
www.freesideatlanta.org
http://www.meetup.com/Freeside-Atlanta/