[hackerspaces] Safe Space Policies?

Don Ankney dankney at hackerco.de
Sun Jan 26 20:00:21 CET 2014

There may be a larger criticism here than misandry ‹ it also points out
the difficulty of modifying language use. If the goal really is to create
a space that openly welcoming of all groups, then it has to be openly
welcoming on *all* groups, disenfranchised or not.

Changing language is really, really difficult ‹ here¹s an example where
somebody calling for this sort of change didn¹t quite meet the bar
themselves.

I expect that a lot of the push-back you¹re seeing isn¹t because members
think that ass-battery towards people different than themselves is
acceptable, but because codifying what ³safe space² means represents a lot
of effort/cost that has nothing to do with technology. Declaring ³Safe
Space² or ³Be Excellent to One Another² should be enough in many people¹s
mind.