[hackerspaces] People in hackerspaces - ages?

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Fri Jan 17 03:16:28 CET 2014

How do other hackerspaces and makerspaces handle small children within the space?

We've set our initial policy as no-one under the age of 18 will be a member or will operate shop tools.
However, we're in a town in where many people have young families -- and we're much more likely to
have people use the space more frequently if we have a way for them to have their children nearby or
have a safe area for the kids to hang out.

What decisions have you made at your spaces? If you have decided to accommodate small children, how
have you handled the liability and safety issues?

Shirley Hicks
Board member-at-large
Red Mountain Makers
5502 1st Avenue North