[hackerspaces] Master's thesis

Philip Poten philip.poten at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 18:18:04 CET 2014

I would like to point out that there is discussion/scepticism in some
parts of the hacker(space) scene about the merits in taking part in
such surveys and scientific studies.

It is not that the authors of such studies are of malicious intent,
but rather that the studies can be used as a means of developing
policies, counter tactics and infiltration programs.

It is reasonable to assume that after Assange, Snowden and all the
more minor cases of cyber activists and pirates already in prison, the
data collected by such studies will not be used in a campaign to
foster the hacker(space) community and see it flourish.

Fefe has a few points lined out here in german:
http://blog.fefe.de/?ts=afed4222 for those interested.

I'm not saying don't cooperate or all researcher on this topic is evil
to begin with - but think about how little is known about the
social/networking structures of current day bankers, politicians,
lobbyists and their potential political implications. Maybe keep that
in mind, and the fact that the hacker community already has much more
open resources publicly on the web than those groups when answering
any such questions.

Philip