[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces survey on Free/Libre Open Source Software

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:53:44 CEST 2014

> I recently moved to Kansas and found hackerspaces that are not really what
> I would have expected from my experience with hackerspaces in Europe
> (cbase, matrax and others) .  I find much less FLOSS and very little
> knowledge or awareness of any of the issues that I feel are important.

That's an interesting observation.  Perhaps hackerspaces which aren't
part of the FLOSS ideology should just be called "makerspaces" or
"funhouses".   Not insisting on FLOSS at the hackerspace at SF_X was
one of the things which I think brought it down -- connections to
proprietary domains just has subtle powers to encroach into what makes
hackerspaces great, and evenrtually the conflict tends to tear down
volunteers into pissy-infighting.

mark