[hackerspaces] Maker community principles

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Wed Sep 25 17:29:12 CEST 2013

Yikes. Do you actually have that many members show up for a board
meeting? Do you hold separate general member meetings for all the
pertinent stuff separately or do you cram it all into those?

We welcome members (and occasionally, the public) to sit in on board
meetings, but usually only a handful attend (we have about 55 members
including the 7 on the board). Openness and transparency is important to
us as well, so long as member's privacy isn't violated. Because of that,
we don't normally name members who are behind on dues unless there's a
suspension on the table (which would be announced publicly anyway), for
instance.

If your concern is members are being left out because of physical space
constraints, what about streaming your meetings online via webcam and
using IRC to conduct business with remote participants? If there are
times that meetings need to be face-to-face (depending on your bylaws),
limit the frequency of them and try and find a larger space to use for
those.

Chaotic meetings can be smoothed out by a powerful meeting chair.
However, controlling a meeting of 180+ attendees would be a massive
undertaking for anyone.

Cheers,
Ben (Kwartzlab Makerspace)