[hackerspaces] Insurance, liability and kids

William Macfarlane wmacfarl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 19:30:12 CEST 2013

True enough vis a vis squats in the USA.

Still, there are plenty of spaces, or nascent spaces, that have no lease --
just informal rental agreements with friendly property-owners.  I'm not
suggesting that this is a good idea, nor am I saying it's a bad one.  I
think whether it's good or bad varies depending on lots and lots of stuff.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Ron Bean
<makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com>wrote:

> William Macfarlane <wmacfarl at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >There are many spaces with, for
> >instance, no insurance, no rent, and no money.
>
> There are also spaces with very few risks. I think any space with
> welders, milling machines, lathes, tablesaws, etc should have insurance.
> Some spaces don't have any of those things. (The tablesaw is probably
> the most hazardous tool on that list, and the one that a small space is
> most likely to have.)
>
> Also, a space that does have those things might not allow kids to have
> access to them, even if they're allowed in other parts of the space. We
> try to keep kids out of the shop area, unless they're very closely
> supervised.
>
> BTW I'm not aware of any "squatted" spaces in the US. I think any
> discussion about insurance has to recognize that the situation in the US
> is different from the rest of the world.

-Will
www.partsandcrafts.org