[hackerspaces] Governance questions

Lokkju Brennr lokkju at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 23:20:35 CEST 2013

BrainSilo (Portland, OR) is both a state non-profit, and is a sponsored
project of the 501(c)3 School Factory's Space Federation.  With that in
mind...

1) BrainSilo is it's own state non-profit entity, but is not tax-exempt at
the federal level by itself.  BrainSilo can receive tax-deductable
donations via our agreement with the Space Federation.
2) Via general member elections.
3) We're a physical location that provides tools and space to any
like-minded people or groups that need it; as such, I'd say we have no
official position on our connection to Make.
4) Any stance you take will cut both ways.  I've found one of the major
hinderances has been that we style ourselves a "hackerspace" - it has
prevented some local organizations (*cough*, for instance, a specific local
museum) from wanting to work with us; but it was a decision made with
intent when we were founded.

~ Loki