[hackerspaces] (no subject)

Alan Fay emptyset at freesideatlanta.org
Thu Oct 10 22:05:42 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Joshua Pritt <ramgarden at gmail.com> wrote:

> You would be able to do this with GIS if you had some sort of "nerds per
> capita" data.
> Perhaps there's some info to be found in the ESRI census data?

census.gov is actually a great resource for this.  Oh it's shutdown right
now and I have a sad.  :(

Of the couple of hackerspace surveys I've seen, I think I recall 40-60% of
members identify themselves as people 25-40 years of age with high income
(>$75K/year).  So, locating in an area with those characteristics is
helpful - but I don't think strictly necessary to ensure good membership
numbers.

My personal experience is that the offerings of a hackerspace and its
community are what trump price, location, and square footage.