[hackerspaces] Northeast Ohio Hackerspace Coalition

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Sat Nov 30 09:20:28 CET 2013

Howdy, all.

In the last two years, there has been a surprising rate of new hackerspaces
starting up out here in Northeast Ohio:

* Maker's Alliance of Cleveland, 2009, Was popular, quieted down, and is now
experiencing a great period of rejuvenation
* SYNHAK of Akron, 2011, 20 members in less than two years of operation
* There were rumors of a space in Ashtabula, late 2012 iirc
* CanHax of Canton, 2013-10, just about to get started
* uFabLab of Geneva, 2013-11-17, a meetup group created last week
* I've heard rumors of Kent looking to start one in the next 3-4 months

Similar to the Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces[1], I would like to explore
the possibility of creating a similar consortium in the Northeast Ohio area
with similar principals as BACH, but with an additional focus on helping to
start and grow local hackerspaces.

I would greatly appreciate some insight into the feasibility and utility of
this.

[1]http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Consortium_of_Hackerspaces