[hackerspaces] How to create a steady-state makerspace/hackerspace business model

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Tue Jun 4 20:08:18 CEST 2013

On 04/06/13 19:58, Al Billings wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM, webmind wrote:

>> But if you start paying people to maintain it, where is the line
>> between a top-down fablab and a hackerspace?
>

> Why does there need to be a line? Why are you creating a
> distinction?

Because there is, hackerspaces have historically always been fron the
ground-up where fablabs are designed from the top-down.

>> If the hackerspace is not run by the hackers, why would it still
>> be a hackerspace?
>

> Who said anything about something not run by hackers?

"by the hackers", or perhaps more clear, by the hackers who use it.

>> Looking at the article btw, I do not know of any hackerspaces
>> which fill in any of those categories. I'm not too familiar with
>> makerspaces, but I guess they are quite different from
>> hackerspaces if the article's "common types" are supposed to be
>> an accurate representation.
>>

> What do you think a "makerspace" is since you make a distinction
> between that and a "hackerspace?" I reject that those words are
> more than labels on the same thing. "Makerspace" is a creation of
> commercial interests as a term. It doesn't mean anything.

I don't know, that's what I was trying to say. But of all the
hackerspaces we got, I don't think any of them fall in any of those
categories. So that makes it look there is no or minimal overlap
between hackerspaces and makerspaces. Or atleast that the article
isn't relevant to hackerspaces in general.