[hackerspaces] American? Going to OHM?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Jul 19 19:05:40 CEST 2013

Jens' email reminded me. The first time I flew back from Europa, I had a
30 minute layover at Amsterdam before flying to SFO. At customs in the
states I was hassled for a good 30 minutes, my whole pack was searched,
down to unrolling dirty socks and questioning me as to why I had a
unicorn costume.

All this stemmed from the fact that I had just flown in from Amsterdam.
They must have asked 50 variations on the question of, "Are you
traveling with marajuana?" I didn't matter that I hadn't even left any
secure areas of Amsterdam airport, or that at the time selling pot there
was barred there in the airport. They didn't give two shits about my
laptop or any digital devices. All they wanted was for me to slip up
answering one of their questions so that they could detain me longer and
do a more deeper search.

And no I wasn't packing any pot or other drugs, nor have I consumed any
since my high school years. Never again.

So if Amsterdam is part of your hacker summer travels itenarary and you
eventually plan to return to the US, please be careful. Being searched
for no good reason ruined an already obnoxious day.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net