[hackerspaces] How do you define quorum for your space?

hadez hadez.hso at nrrd.de
Tue Jan 15 14:33:49 CET 2013

shackspace Stuttgart has a weekly plenum were we discuss and hay/nay
anything from planned events, hardware donation offers, remodeling of
(parts of) the space and of course financial investment etc.
If something turns out to be too controversial or not thought out well
enough we'll discuss it for another week on the mailing list.

Despite the plenum not being something that's written down in our
statutes (decisions aren't legally binding) we use it as a forum to
find consensus (in rare cases it ends in a democratic majority vote)
and the board simply nods and does what the plenum suggest.  The board
members try to make as few decisions as possible without prior
consultation of the plenum.

Attendance is between 8 to 25+ each week (depending on the topics we
have on the agenda).  It's mostly made up of folks who are around the
space often so decisions are _usually_ made by those most affected by
it.
There have been some discussions about whether this is good or not but
we've pretty much settled on a "if you want to decide and participate
you have to attend" consensus.
There's always the odd one out but that's to be expected if you have
around 180 members in your club.

--
hadez