[hackerspaces] Successful products that have emerged from hackerspaces?

Martin Ling martin-hackerspaces at earth.li
Thu Feb 28 11:39:22 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:47:49PM -0800, Evan Martin wrote:

>    Wondering if anyone knows a list of products and/or companies, or can
>    share any individual products/companies they know, that emerged from the
>    collaborative support and resources of hackerspaces. And I mean products
>    that experienced market success or enough demand for production, either
>    for-profit or not-for-profit, closed or open source.

Some pyrotechnics equipment that was developed largely at the Edinburgh
Hacklab, and has gone into production:

http://www.rhinofire.co.uk/step13/

The guy behind that was already running a company selling this sort of
stuff, but not producing his own devices. I met him at the space and we
developed this one together. It's been a success and we're working on
another product now.

Another thing that springs to mind is the Nanode platform, which
emerged from the London Hackspace and went into production:

http://www.nanode.eu/
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Nanode
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Nanode

Martin