[hackerspaces] Successful products that have emerged from hackerspaces?

Jamie Schwettmann jamie.schwettmann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 23:34:36 CET 2013

College of Lockpicking!!!

College of Lockpicking has offered over 50 classes on introductory lockpicking at hackerspaces across the US since Summer 2011.
We are a first-of-its kind DIY touring edutainment workshop, operating as a fundraiser and member drive for the space that hosts us.

In 2011, we were honored to be the *very first* workshop at many budding hackerspaces, sometimes before the floor was even finished!  And we've enjoyed such incredible hospitality from so many hackers and spaces along the way -- I can't even begin to express my gratitude for all the floors, food, and even loaner cars we've had the pleasure to share and all the wonderful people we've met. :)

Since then, we've grown to offer a webstore, private events at companies like Google and sweet venues like The Edison in LA, bulk purchasing for retail stores like Ada's Technical Books in Seattle, and LockSport Lounge setups at popular conferences and public events like Security BSides SF, BIL in LA, and SXSW in Austin.

We aim to teach and inspire by example, not just in lockpicking itself, but in the model we use to bring funds, people, and media attention to spaces to help them grow.

College of Lockpicking is still scheduling our 2013 tour, and we'd love to come teach at your space!  If it sounds like something you're interested in, whether to learn lockpicking, or how a meager 2 technical people with zero entertainment industry experience have managed to run a successful touring workshop all on their lonesome, or how your space can add events to raise money and incentivize membership, get in touch with events at collegeoflockpicking.com, and we can make it happen!

Website:   http://collegeoflockpicking.com
Classes:   http://classes.collegeoflockpicking.com
Gear:         http://shop.collegeoflockpicking.com

- Jamie