[hackerspaces] New Orleans Hackathon for Collecting Public Data

Chrrles Paul charles.paul at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:45:38 CET 2013

[originally posted to Gumbolabs, forwarding to this list as well, for kicks]
Hello,

Hope everything is going well.  I am building a DocumentCloud server for
Noladefender.com - the goal is to create an open, searchable repository of
Louisiana public documents.

https://github.com/documentcloud

We are in touch with another New Orleans news outlet which is proposing a
similar project using the official DocumentCloud service.  They may,
however, end up using our Cloud as the scope of our project covers theirs,
and our project is already getting off the ground.

A large part of this effort will be identifying and scraping available
sources of documents - whether it be spidering FTP sites, or even building
document scanners to bring to the city's archive office.

In the spirit of the Aaron Swartz, we want to organize a hackathon for
collecting LA public documents.  Pizza will be provided, of course.

http://cryptome.org/2013/01/aaron-swartz-hackathons.htm
https://github.com/oreillymedia/open_government

Date(s) and Location(s) to be decided, and your input is greatly welcomed
at this early stage.  Any software developed will be released under a DFSG
compliant license, and all data (obviously) will be public.

Thanks,
Charles Paul