[hackerspaces] Rent?

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Thu Feb 14 11:56:26 CET 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Derek Hubbard wrote:

>    paying $450/mo for 5000sqft of warehouse space with a small kitchen
>    and two bathrooms. The space is, for now, rather raw. We plan on
>    improving

this sounds awesome. with so much space you can at least organize public
events and have enough room to fundraise with them too.

>    Our other expenses bring costs up to an estimated $700/mo.

so, its about the same as Asbesto reports.

the problem we have in Sicily is that a warehouse space  like your would
cost much more than we pay already and its condition + location would be
far from optimal.  ATM the few members with financial possibilities on
our side are paying 50EUR a month to support the apartment - and for
south Italians to have a job means to migrate mostly, so then you end up
paying for something you don't even access phisically, maybe just 2
times a year. if it keeps on like that, we are doomed on the long term.

The cost of renting spaces is such a powerful variable: it directly
controls our capacity, while  institutions seem to be deaf to our
requests of facilitation. also housing prices in peripheral zones are
kept up "artificially" (not on the basis of demand and offer) and so
many spaces are left empty, at least that's what is happening in most
places.

ciao