[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

B F bakmthiscl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 19:55:56 CET 2013

I'd like to chime in one more thing about money.

Sometimes it's best NOT to charge a lot to BE a member.  (Alternative:
 Have "regular" members for cheap and "sustaining" members, to cover
the rent.  Make it clear that with too few sustaining members, the
makerspace will fold.)

Sometimes it's better to engage the membership to help raise money.
People who don't have a large discretionary income might have skills
and knowledge to share.  Let them teach a workshop, if they're so
inclined.  Charge for the workshop, with the money  (less any actual
expenses) going to the makerspace.  In some cases, the instructor can
also receive compensation, making it a win-win scenario.

Also, put out calls for special donations, where needed.  Our
makerspace recently needed a generator, a $500 purchase.  A call for
contributions netted $1000 in no time, allowing purchase of a better
generator.

Food and drink (non-alcoholic or otherwise) can be sold for a profit.
Retail outlets get 100% profit over wholesale.  Food concessions often
do better than anyone else at flea markets.

In all case charge what you need to cover expenses for USE of the
equipment, to be sure, but that can be a charge-for-use basis.
Include in this any reasonable maintenance costs for the equipment.
(There was a recent discussion of the special case of expensive
equipment of limited lifetime.)