[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:15:00 CET 2013

My issue isn't with cash, or with an unwillingness to adopt Serve,
bank transfers, etc. The issue as I see it, is that the people who
insist on doing a non-recurring "bill me and I will pay when I want
to" model are usually not the ones who line up with cash or check at
the first of the month, or offer to pre-pay a few months to make it
easier.

My experience is that those who are cranky and don't trust banks or
eCommerce often have financial issues and pay late, or require
chasing.  The same folks are usually not satisfied if you say "I'm 95%
sure you didn't pay the last 2 months" unless you have airtight
accounting to back it up.

I know as hackers we're generally privacy advocates and trend towards
libertarian, less big-brother-in-our-lives  values. The trouble is
that we also have to pay the same large bills every month and really
need predictable sources of income that can be managed by unpaid
volunteers.

So my suggestion is that anyone who wants to make a privacy or
anti-Paypal statement should really try to do it in a way that is easy
for the space, such as paying early every month or 3 months at a time.

Arclight