[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Tue Feb 12 19:14:28 CET 2013

Hi all, interesting discussion!

3 remarks :

1) Recurring payments and cash.
If you want to have recurring payments but have some people who want to pay
with cash, an option can be to offer a small discount (or a token of
appreciation) for paying a whole year up front. Less stresses for everyone.
May not apply to every membership amounts.

2) About the job of treasurer.
> I'd like to clarify something about recurring payments.  This is
> important, because in my experience, it's the difference between
> treasurer being a 20 hours/week job or a 10 hours/month job.

I never did this job so I can't really relate, but would this be possible
to distribute the work? Publish who did pay and who didn't, and let people
pressure and remind others. Maybe accept that a few trustworthy members
receive payments and transmit them later to the treasurer. In a non-profit,
no one asked to work in the boring administrative tasks. It is everyone's
role to make these as light as possible. Obviously it is easier to do when
the fee is 5€/month than when it is 200$/month.

3) About fueling a non-profit with goodwill.
> We sadly don't live in a world yet where hacker spaces can exist simply
> with good will, teachers willing to give free classes

I am often reminded that US and France are different cultures, but I think
that this statement is not totally true. Of the three hackerspaces that I
have been a member of, none paid a rent.

The /tmp/lab used to be inside an old public building, with the approval of
the communist (heh) municipal council of Vitry-sur-Seine, who already lent
a lot of the room to artists with low income (this neighborhood caused
interesting synergies).

The LOG,in Grenoble, is hosted by a big non-profit that actually depend on
regional public funding (the CCSTI), and they have a kind of
animation-for-rent barter : the host owns (and pays for) the machines and
the hackers operate them.

The LOL, in Lyon, is hosted for free by LibrePC, a computer shop (which
loves free software), who wants to attract interesting projects in the
neighborhood. We have a cheap membership (5€/month) that pays for
insurance, some small tools and soon electricity.

It may not be a model suitable for everyone or everywhere, but I can
testify that this model works for several spaces here.

Iv