[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Tue Feb 12 15:50:33 CET 2013

One obvious thing that nobody has mentioned yet-- attract more members!

We try to accomodate nonmembers, but we also try to make sure there's an
advantage to being a member. The main advantage is 24/7 access to the
building. We're mostly open to nonmembers two nights per week (and
occasionally on weekends). Nonmembers can also get in as a guest of a
member. For the most part, only members can use the heavy machinery,
although we've talked about making exceptions to that.

Also, we accept payments through Dwolla. According to this page, they
accept recurring payments:
http://help.dwolla.com/customer/portal/articles/235874-how-can-i-setup-a-recurring-payment-

We also accept payments through PayPal (although they charge more than
Dwolla). Some people don't trust Dwolla (it's a bank transfer, so you
have to give them your bank account number), and some people don't trust
PayPal. I don't know how our membership breaks down along those lines.
I think we can also accept payments through Square, but I don't know if
anyone is paying their membership that way.

I do know that our treasurer doesn't like to cash checks manually, even
if they're on time.