[hackerspaces] Cash flow?

Thomas R. Koll tomk32 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:21:06 CET 2013

Am 12.02.2013 um 06:45 schrieb Tamara <Tamara at BrownPaperTickets.com>:

> Hello there!
>
> I'm seeking ideas for how to consistently cover our rent each month and
> still have some funds left over for consumables, necessities and perhaps a
> small emergency fund. We currently have a scaled membership and teach a
> number of classes each month, but there's often a gap between what we make
> each month and what we need to cover it all without panic, begging, and
> general freaking out. We've begun a series of fundraising meetings to
> discuss additional ideas for what might work, but I'm wondering - what works
> best for your hackerspace?

On the other side, the side that you have complete control over,
you need a good forcast for the upcoming twelve months.
There are weak months and strong months and you need to reserve
money to cover the weak ones (in case of Metalab that's summer).
It's a lot easier to say no to a certain investment but with a good planning
you can tell your members that this investment can be done in two months
(or if the group throws in €200). An occasional draught or even negative balance
is okay and can help motivate members who are lagging with the payments.

A good forcast will help you to not panic.