[hackerspaces] printablegun.com has it's 3d printer siezed

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Oct 2 08:59:06 CEST 2012

Matt Joyce wrote, On 2012-10-01 18:38:
> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31584

3D printed fire arms are totally tools, tools for trolling. Every time
someone replies to a thread like this, a hacker somewhere either gets a
plastic keyboard shard splinter stuck under their fingernail,
accidentally sews their eyelid to a  samoflange, or runs out of oil for
their robot bits.

As much as I have respect for cultures outside of the United States
having more sensibility and ethics than we do regarding when it is or
isn't appropriate to cause bodily harm to another human being, when you
have decided that it is the right moment to acquire a piece (If you live
in the US and have to Urbandictionary that shit, I've been told Canada
has some great health care) regardless of what regulations and laws are
instated locally, it happens. It happens so quick and easily it's not
even ridiculous. History has proven this time and time again. The lust
for power is lubricated by money and guns.

It's sad, I know, but some of us actually don't live in your notion of
reality.

I can't wait for the day when 3D printers can prints guns that actually
work reliably and have approximately the same durability as their milled
counterparts. You know why? Because there would be Nth times as many of
us making much more cooler less idiotic things.

Remember kids, no matter how hard you try to buy into this hacker
community nonsense, there will always be idiots ready to do the stupid.
You can either sit here getting your maker panties in a twist with a
drill press because some monkey banged two rocks together and fired a
bullet that cause RMS to migrate to Windows, or continue on with hacking
the planet like the sexy beasts you are.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net