[hackerspaces] Hackerspace Bloggers/Community Managers/Marketing People?

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Thu May 31 16:57:37 CEST 2012

Hi, Alli,

I should join in because I think that the Makerspace I co-founded in 2009
is pretty special -- It is a working group of the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center.  The U-C IMC also is host to WRFU-LP FM 104.5
community radio.  So, one of the publicity outlets we have available is the
weekly show I host Thursday mornings from 8 to 9 called "TechKnowLedge" --
News and views from the Maker and Hacker World.
http://tech-knowledge.tumblr.com   MakerSpace Urbana has a monthly
membership meeting the last Sunday of each month as well as open hours
which we post at the UC-IMC Events Calendar  http://www.ucimc.org/calendar
Open hours have lately been Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9.  The MakerSpace
also hosts a free computer Help Desk on Tuesday and Sunday afternoons 2-4
and 3-5.  The UC-IMC is home to ChamBana.net -- a local web hosting
service.  The web site http://makerspaceurbana.org is hosted by
Chambana.net.  The e-mail discussion list for the MakerSpace is
imc-makerspace at lists.chambana.net   You can go to
http://lists.chambana.netto see the list of all lists hosted by
ChamBana.net, subscribe to a list
and browse the archives.  We have an annual Champaign-Urbana area Mini
Maker Faire, going for two years now every April. which is officially
recognized by O'Reilley Publishers/MAKE Magazine.  We also have a Facebook
group "Makerspace Urbana".  I work to activate the synergies between the
Makerspace Urbana and the other working groups and happenings at the
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center.  One of which is the Bike
Project.   I keep pushing the idea of bike Electronics and Mutant Bike
projects between the Makerspace and the Bike Project, but it hasn't
happened much beyond decorating bicycles with Throwies, so far.  Another
IMC Working Group is the Patch Adams Gesundheit Institute, which keeps
their Costume Closet in a room adjacent to the Makerspace in the IMC.  I
keep my eye on that one for potential textile art/electronics hybrid
projects.  So, there is lots of potential here.  Actualizing it comes down
to the reality of any volunteer-run organization.  Sometimes you have
really awesome, passionate, dedicated volunteers, and sometimes they up and
move to DC.

Cheers,

-Stewart, http://us.imdb.com/Name?Stewart+Dickson
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/10/vedic_math_machines_and_3d_zoetrope.html