[hackerspaces] Spark 181 – Mitch Altman says hackers could raise $10mil

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Thu May 10 12:45:28 CEST 2012

> If there's a serious goal and plan, then let's consider how to get it
> funded.

My 2 cents (actually my 8 BTC)

State what you will do with the money and how you will control how it is
spent. Find a few people with a strong reputation in the hackerspace
community saying they will check this, set a bitcoin address and I'll send
the handful that I still have left. I think you should investigate interest
in these alternate funding methods : flattr, bitcoin...

This discussion makes me wondering : do we have an estiamte of the global
population of active members in hackerspaces ? I'd be happy to be wrong but
10 millions seems like a very optimistic figure. 1106 hackerspaces are
listed at http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_ALL_Hacker_Spaces
A very rough estimate would say that this puts the population in the
5,000-100,000 range.

You will want to target more than this population to raise 10 millions.