[hackerspaces] 501c3 and hackerspaces in the US

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 00:19:35 CEST 2012

On 7/5/12 5:43 PM, James Carlson wrote:
> "One of the arguments being put forth is that members must not work on
> individual projects, because that would be a benefit to the member
> versus the public, and somehow violate the 501c3 rules."
Good point.  Warning IANAL: That requirement is so you aren't rolling in
money, or giving yourself 'PR Contracts' from the hackerspace.  If you
do proper bookkeeping, that should be no problem.

Problematic: Your space hiring you for 'PR Management' for 10,000 a year.
Not Problematic: You working at the space as a startup space.
Not Problematic: You (or others) making a share of profits from the
class, as long as it's standardized to all teachers.

My experience with that clause is from a friend that was trying to run a
for-profit bakery out of a housing cooperative.  Quite similar to a
member building 'for profit' projects in a hackerspace.  All we needed
to do was to change (and have in our bookkeeping) his payment for use of
the space as rent, and it was all-clear.

hack on,
- Far McKon